Records FAQs

How can I obtain property from a vehicle that was towed when I am not the registered owner?

There are two methods of receiving property from a vehicle if you are not the registered owner. 

1.You may contact the owner and have the owner come to the Police Department to sign a release for permission to retrieve property from the vehicle.   

2.If the owner is unable to come to the Police Department, you may have the owner prepare a letter authorizing you to remove your property from the vehicle. 

A list of your property you are trying to retrieve needs to be listed in the letter.  Have the owner include a copy of their driver’s license or California identification with the letter. There is no fee for this service.